Part 2 of my 2013 resolutions is coming. In the meantime, I wanted to drop in with another piece I made last spring in my Book Arts class. (Headed there this morning, and I can't wait! I love Thursday mornings.)
We started this project each with one hardcover book, and were encouraged to be extremely free with it, do WHATEVER occurred to us to do... So I ripped the entire thing out of the cover and shredded the pages, getting as much volume out of it as I could. Quickly, it started to feel skirt-ish, so I attached it back to one of the covers and created a bodice out of wire and a piece of the spine binding,
and then added tulle and cotton to the top of the pages, as if the whole thing is a dress in which the skirt is being pulled up to reveal the petticoats underneath. Feathers and more wire attached to the pages made it expand out even more into the space around it.
Here you can see the back, where the grey book cover (top) joins up with the back of the opened-up pages (bottom):
More views and detail shots...
It is one of my favorite pieces I have ever made.